Ricardo has the capability to engineer cutting-edge E-machines for hybrid applications, electric vehicles, wind turbines, rail, marine and power generation, often working with the company’s rail, engines and transmissions groups to develop fully integrated solutions. With advanced simulation packages, world-class testing facilities and expansive engineering experience, the team is available to take on projects from feasibility studies to full production programs for motors or drives, large or small.
E-machine design, simulation and development testing
Our expertise in E-machine design covers all motor types and drive types including Surface Permanent Magnet (SPM), Induction Machine (IM), Interior Permanent Magnet (IPM) and Switched Reluctance (SR) machines. Our designs are bespoke to the application needs and may include features such as:
- A wide speed range constant power capability
- Very high-torque at low speed from standstill for rapid engine starting
- High-efficiency output in primary operating region
- Efficiency for 10~100% speed, >20% rated torque: =>90%
Ricardo has developed a design process for electric machines that starts with the ‘Concept Design Process’ which results in an initial 1D outline motor design. Finite Element Analysis combined with machine model calculations and a system performance analysis will be iterated until the design conforms to the required specification. In parallel an outline manufacturing plan, top level DFMEA will be developed and finally the Detail Design Process, will finalise the 3D CAD models, drawings, tolerancing, BOM, test plan and DVP.
Key benefits of the Ricardo service
Ricardo has the expertise, facilities and capability to provide leading-edge consultancy services to help your business design and develop the E-machine and power electronics that will drive tomorrow’s vehicles.
- Competitive benchmarking of eDrive systems ranging from package and performance to detailed assessment of design features and their benefits
- Comprehensive system simulation to support robust mechanical, electromagnetic and thermal design
- Effective troubleshooting of existing products and designs
- Hardware and software design and component selection matched to appropriate electronic system architectures
- Rapid prototyping capability for proof of concept testing
- FMEA, design verification testing and validation